Destination weddings have been on the rise over the past several years. About one in four couples are now choosing to have their wedding away from home, with Las Vegas, New York City, Florida and California being the most popular destinations in the continental US. Why are so many couples choosing to hold their ceremony somewhere other than their hometown? Here are five reasons why destination weddings are the best!
- VIP Guest ListMaking the guest list is easily one of the hardest parts of planning a wedding. Deciding who to invite and who not to can be stressful. The great thing about a destination wedding is only those closest to the bride and groom attend. You can celebrate your matrimony in a small, intimate ceremony with the VIPs who mean the most to you. Knowing the unique considerations involved with an out-of-town wedding, those you do invite will feel particularly honored to be included in your very special day.
- Happy Middle GroundTrying to plan a hometown wedding when your families live in different places is tough. No matter which city you choose, you run the risk of offending someone. In these instances, a destination wedding can give both families a place to “meet in the middle.”
- The Celebration Keeps GoingWeddings may take months to plan, but the actual day flies by in no time. As you hurry from saying your vows to cutting the cake, there aren’t many opportunities to stop and savor the moment. One of the biggest luxuries a destination wedding affords is time. Because everyone tends to travel to the area at least a few days ahead of time, you will have more time to visit and celebrate with your guests.
- Less StressWhile getting married hundreds or thousands of miles away from home might sound stressful, it actually isn’t. So many couples today try to take on too many do-it-yourself projects, which end up being more time consuming and stressful than anticipated. When you don’t live near your wedding destination, you can rely on your wedding planner to handle all of the details. You’ll enjoy a less stressful experience when you aren’t sweating the small stuff.
- Two HoneymoonsHaving a destination wedding is almost like having two honeymoons. The first begins as soon as you arrive in town for the wedding. After enjoying the wedding location, most couples head to a separate destination for their real honeymoon.
If you love the idea of a destination wedding but are feeling a little homesick, there is no need to worry. Many couples host a second reception once they return home for all of the guests who couldn’t attend the ceremony. That way you can have the best of both worlds – the wedding of your dreams with all the perks of a destination wedding and a big party with all of your friends and family.