Everyone knows Nevada, and Las Vegas in particular, can be scorching hot, especially in the summer. It's why water attractions offer so much allure. So we've curated a list of the top picks throughout the state. If you're from Nevada or visiting and love the outdoors, visit these eight attractions that lure water lovers from all over the world.
- Catch the state fish. You can find the Lahontan cutthroat trout in the Carson, Humboldt, Quinn, Truckee or Walker rivers. Don't forget to reel in a one-day fishing license or a year-long pass if you're determined to snag one of these prized fish.
- Relax in hot springs. Nevada is home to more than 300 hot springs – placing it in prime contention for the most hot springs in the country. Try Frog Pond Hot Springs, located near the Black Rock Desert. You might be able to scoop up a frog, too.
- Enjoy white-water rafting on the Truckee River. Plan a trip based on the experience level of your group, as most outfitters offer various degrees of difficulty. If you've never enjoyed a running river in a raft, you're in for a treat.
- Go underground at Great Basin National Park. The locals call it "caving," exploring deep, winding basins hollowed out of limestone and marble 550 million years ago.
- Make a splash at Lake Mead. The largest man-made reservoir in the United States makes a fitting place to enjoy virtually every type of outdoor water sport, including boating, kayaking, rafting, scuba diving and waterskiing.
- Paddleboard standing up at Lake Tahoe. Of course, you can sit down if you'd prefer, but stand-up paddleboarding is growing in popularity in this resplendent basin that Nevada shares with California.
- Spot wild birds at the Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge. As one of the few wetlands habitats in southern Nevada, it's most prized as a refuge for birds, especially the bald eagle.
- Wade in a waterfall at Lamoille Canyon. Part of the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, this canyon is often referred to as "the other Yosemite" for two good reasons: the waterfalls and the mountain views.
To help prepare you for everything you will do and see in Nevada, download our free "Ultimate Vegas Packing List 2.0."